#degree #in #journalism #and #mass #communication
B.S. Degree in Journalism
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Journalism will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to successfully balance career, family, church and community.
- Be familiar with appropriate theories of mass communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals of research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be successfully able to pursue a career in the converged world of journalism as a reporter, producer, or editor characterized by the ability to acquire, process, and distribute newsworthy stories in formats appropriate for print, broadcast or web and within the US legal and regulatory framework.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
39 hours, minor required
1. 10 hours mass communication core courses
- COMM-2613 – Media, Faith and Culture
- COMM-4631 – Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4713 – Media Law
- COMM-4723 – Media Ethics
2. 5 hours of experience: you must choose from
- 1341, 1351, 1371, 1381
- An internship may substitute for one of these hours.
3. 15 hours journalism core courses
- COMM-2113 – Writing Across Media
- COMM-2643 – Media Production
- COMM-2833 – Reporting
- COMM-3453 – Electronic News Writing
- COMM-3723 – Interviewing
4. 3 hours journalism required chosen from
- COMM-3823 – Feature Writing**
- COMM-4123 – Electronic News Producing*
5. 3 hours communication courses
- COMM-2213 – Voice and Articulation
- COMM-2413 – Photographic Principles and Practices
6. 3 hours chosen from either
- COMM-3653 – Television Field Production
- ENGL-3493 – Technical Writing
- ENGL-3523 – Creative Writing I
- ENGL-3533 – Creative Writing II
- ENGL-3813 – Individualized Writing
A minor must be chosen from one of the following specialty areas:
D. Information science
E. Media Production-for all wanting a broadcast emphasis
F. Physical science
G. Political science
*Students with primary interest in broadcast and web choose these classes.
**Students with primary interest in print and web choose these classes.
- Digital Media Professional
- Events Planner
- News Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sound Engineer
- Web Designer
Interested in getting more information?