Delaware Finance

Feb 14 2018

Overseas Visitors Health Cover Insurance OVHC, Allianz Global Assistance, health insurance for visitors to australia.#Health


What type of cover do you need?


Visitor Plus

  • Medical services provided in hospital
  • Accommodation for overnight and same day stays
  • Accident and emergency fees (admission not required)
  • Emergency ambulance transport to hospital
  • Emergency medical repatriation (cover for returning you back to your home country due to a life-altering illness or injury, or in the event of death)
  • Surgically implanted prostheses
  • Medical services provided by a General Practitioner (GP)
  • Medical services provided by a specialist (e.g. visiting a radiologist to get an x-ray)
  • Other medical test (e.g. blood tests)
  • Medicines prescribed to you by a doctor

Disclaimer: ^You can only claim prescription medicines included in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) list and for items that cost more than the PBS co-payment fee. To see the full list of PBS medicines and the current co-payment fee, visit the Department of Health website. Waiting periods apply to both Budget Visitors and Visitors Plus policies. Read the Policy Document for more details. *Pricing is based on the total annual premium. Minimum payment frequency is fortnightly.

Ready to get cover?

You’ll receive your certificate of insurance (COI) as soon as you make your purchase, so you can complete your visa application straight away

How we make it easy for you

Health insurance for visitors to australia

We’re ready to help when you need us

We’re available to help you 24/7. Call us anytime on 13 67 42

Access our network of medical providers

If something happens, you can rely on our large network of doctors and medical providers across Australia.

Flexible payments

You can choose to pay your OVHC instalments with us fortnightly, monthly, quarterly, six-monthly or annually via automatic payments from your chosen credit card or bank account. Get your quote today!

Health cover to meet visa condition 8501

If you’re planning on visiting or working in Australia on a temporary visa, we provide health insurance which meets visa condition 8501 which applies to 457 and 485 visas.

Health insurance for visitors to australia

We make health insurance easy for you, so you can make the most of your time in Australia

Still have questions?

Australia’s health care system

Managing your cover

More helpful information

Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) is health insurance for international visitors and workers.

OVHC can help you pay for medical and hospital services while you’re in Australia.

Paying for medical treatment in Australia can be expensive

You may not be eligible for Medicare (the public health insurance system for Australian residents). Without access to Medicare, paying for medical treatment can be expensive.

When you’re away from home, it’s important to know medical treatment is available and affordable if something was to happen to you.

OVHC may be a requirement of your visa (e.g. if your visa is subject to visa condition 8501).

This will depend on the type of policy you have. Your Certificate of Insurance will show which policy you have purchased.

  • Singles – covering only the overseas student
  • Dual family – covering the overseas student, and either:
    • One adult spouse or de facto partner
    • One or more children under the age of 18 years old
  • Multi-family – covering the overseas student and more than one dependant, which can include:
    • Only one adult spouse or de facto partner
    • One or more dependent children

A waiting period is the amount of time you need to wait before you can make a claim through your OVHC policy.

Waiting periods apply to your policy if you’re claiming medical costs related to pregnancy or pre-existing conditions.

Australia’s health care system

If you have a non-urgent injury or illness that needs to be treated, you may want to consider visiting a local doctor at a medical centre – also known as a General Practitioner (GP).

You can access many services at your GP, including:

  • General medicine and simple diagnostic testing to find out what the problem is
  • Assessment and treatment of health problems and injuries
  • First aid services
  • Women’s and men’s health
  • Referrals to specialist services (e.g. to visit a radiologist to get an x-ray)

All public hospitals in Australia have a 24-hour emergency and casualty department where you can get help after hours and on the weekend.

People waiting in emergency are assessed and treated based on the seriousness of their medical condition. The patients with the most urgent problems are seen and treated first. If you attend the emergency department with a less serious medical condition, you may need to wait a long time to be treated.

In Australia, health care is made up of a mixture of services funded by the Australian Government and private health insurance. Australian residents are automatically covered for many hospital and medical costs under the Government’s Medicare scheme, but many Australians choose to take out additional cover through the private health care system.

Medicare covers areas of medical, hospital and pharmaceutical costs, but doesn’t cover medical services like private hospital costs, dental, physiotherapy and similar services, emergency ambulance assistance or other transport to hospital.

You’ll have to pay a gap fee if the amount the medical provider charges is more than the benefit you’re entitled to under your cover. You’ll need to pay the gap fee yourself – you won’t be able to claim that amount.

We recommend you call your doctor before your appointment to ask what it will cost you.

Managing your cover

Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia or the day your visa is granted (whichever is later) and ends on the expiry date of your visa, as long as you continue to pay your regular OVHC premium instalments.

If you have a life-threatening medical emergency, call 000 immediately for help.

If you have a non-urgent injury or illness that needs to be treated, you may want to consider visiting a local doctor at a medical centre – also known as a General Practitioner (GP).

Medical specialists are doctors with additional education and training in a specific area of medicine. For example, if you have a medical condition related to your skin, you may want to visit a Dermatologist.

To see a specialist, you’ll need a referral from your GP.

Using our network of providers makes it easier for you to claim when you visit a doctor. All you need to do is provide your valid membership card on the day of your appointment and the medical provider will bill us directly for the covered amount of your bill.

With direct billing, the doctor bills us directly.

Make sure you select a doctor from our providers list that specifies they can direct bill.

  1. Download the Claim form
  2. Print and complete the form
  3. Scan your completed form and any relevant attachments (e.g. receipts) and email them to [email protected] with your claim reference in the subject line

Alternatively, you can post your claim and receipts to:

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *